Hello to new viewers!

Not sure what's going on with this site, but just imagine that I put spaces between paragraphs and inserted photos. Blogger wouldn't let me. Maybe they will later?

Monday, April 20, 2020

Corona Virus Ramblings....

Guess it's time to cut my own bangs. It'll make me feel better. There really is something to the phrase, "bad hair day". I've trimmed them before, and I've learned from past mistakes, of not holding my eyebrows up like I'm very interested. When you relax your brows your bangs are much shorter than you were hoping they'd be. A friend who has given me haircuts before, once asked me how short I'd like them. I said, "Not too short. Not like my eighth grade picture!" "Oh", he said, "so you don't want to go for the Mamie Eisenhower look?"

Perhaps I've had too much time on my hands and have been looking in the mirror too much, but now I see a few hairs sticking out of my chin. Where are tweezers when you need them? It turns out that toenail clippers don't do an efficient job, not pulling out the root, and then an even stronger looking hair continues to grow. Tweezers went on to my list for when we went shopping and I am now "whisker" free. Well, maybe until I go into the bathroom again and look in the mirror.

Also, in this time of self-isolating, I'm overdue for a pedicure. I've been treating myself to one for years, since as time goes by, I'm not as flexible, and I usually get a cramp trying to get in to the position to trim my own nails. Besides, I like to get pampered a little bit, except for when they think they have to buff all the callouses off the bottom of your feet. They seem to think it's funny, as I grab the arms of the chair and try not to squeal, at the same time trying to explain to the pedicurist to go easy on me. Then they're forgiven when a hot towel is put over my legs, and lotion is applied with a nice massage.
I trimmed the nails on one foot the other night, and today I'll do the other one, and maybe another day I'll remove the old green polish that I chose for St. Patrick's Day. The toes were never shown off, because we had to cancel our annual party because the virus was just getting under way. I'm not sure if I'll try to put nail polish on again myself, because I don't have any. I looked for some the last time we went to the drug store and each bottle was amazingly about 9 or 10 dollars! I thought the price would be about $3.00, so I guess you can tell how long it's been since I've done my own toes. Oh well, it'll probably be healthier for my toenails to be able to breathe for a while.

There are a few things I've been appreciating during this time though. We've done a lot more cooking at home. My husband and I usually go out to lunch every day, which I really loved, since I used to be a waitress who wished that she could be the one who was being served each day. So now, we've bought a bunch of food, and have been putting together fine meals, which produce leftovers and we've been making soups, especially since the weather in Palm Springs has been unusually chilly  so far this year. Doug is the sous chef and I sauté a lot of the ingredients before adding them to the pot or crockpot, and then I season it. When you think about it, it's wonderful how all those raw ingredients meld together, softening, and take on each others' flavors.

Another thing I've noticed lately, is about eggs. I'm becoming an expert at making over medium eggs. The neat thing about them is that eggs kinda like to keep to themselves. I put four eggs in a fry pan with a little spray oil, and let them start cooking for a while on medium heat. then I let them sit off to the side while toast is made, and the coffee is almost ready. When I come back to them, ready to flip them over, they come apart, even though one has crept on top of the edge of another. I gently separate them, and their little cells know whose is whose. I think that is pretty fascinating. I'm sure there's a scientific explanation for that, but as you might have noticed, I'm not a scientist.

Lately I'm always looking for things to wash. I have my eyes on all the throw rugs next. This is because we bought a stackable washer and dryer last year, and they're big and shiny and they sing to me when I turn them on. In the evening, Doug and I fold things together. I prefer to do my own things, because I have my ways...., folding my jeans a certain way, and making sure that shirts are hanging on the hangers in one direction.....but it's a nice, companionable thing to do. Besides, he does all of his own socks and underwear.

Since we live in California, and I'm programmed in to thinking "water shortage!" all the time. I've had a big bowl in my kitchen sink to catch water if we rinse off vegetables, etc. We faithfully, (well, I), take that bowl, when it's full, out to water some plants, so it won't be wasted. Now that we're all washing our hands to the tune of "Happy Birthday", that bowl gets filled up many times a day. It was really rainy here for awhile, so I used the water for putting things down the garbage disposal instead. Now that the weather is going to rise up to 94 on Wednesday, and then 98 the rest of the week, we'll be glad to be pouring that water that would have been going down the drain onto our plants.

There's talk right now that we might leave and go to Tahoe earlier just to get out of the heat. If we do, we'll do a very quick transition, not stopping for the night anywhere, or visiting family, and "skedaddling", as Doug says, driving for maybe 12 hours, taking turns driving, and packing a lunch and dinner.

Not that we've been thinking too hard about it. We'll see. I suppose it's almost time for these snowbirds to fly home.

But, "Oh-oh! We have some things we've ordered from Amazon that haven't arrived yet. I find that I do love ordering things online. I'll have to put myself on restriction, and hold back on shopping till we get back north. There's suffering everywhere. Mine is very small.


No comments:

Post a Comment