Hello to new viewers!

Not sure what's going on with this site, but just imagine that I put spaces between paragraphs and inserted photos. Blogger wouldn't let me. Maybe they will later?

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Phew! We Made It Through Another April 21st!

Most people don't think one way or another about April 21st, unless it happens to be their birthday, or as it is this year, the day before Earth Day. My husband and I usually find time to remember our dads, and as we get older, we try to have a "safe" day.

On one of our first dates, 10 years ago, we were sharing our histories. We talked as we looked out at the view of the Bay Area from a parking lot at Cal State Hayward, where I was taking a few classes. Doug asked me about my father, who I have very fond memories of, and I volunteered  that he died rather suddenly when I was 16 years old, leaving a large hole in all of our lives.

Doug said, "Oh, I know, my dad died when I was 16 too." I'm sure we both felt that was quite a thing to have in common. 

Keeping up the conversation, I volunteered that my dad had passed away on April 21st, and it was weird when it came time that my father-in-law should die it was ALSO on April 21st (of course several years later).

"Oh!", he exclaimed. "My dad died on April 21st too..... when I was 16!"

I was thinking to myself, "now what kind of a guy would make this up? This is creepy!" Then I looked at him, and he wasn't fooling! It was almost as if we could hear the theme from "Twilight Zone" in the background.

April 21st was yesterday, and as we're getting older, I've started thinking we should be a little careful. I don't want to be paranoid, but we did say a little prayer for our safety along with the one remembering all the dads. It didn't help that Doug had to climb a ladder outside to clean off a greenhouse window, and both of us had to re-install a heavy wooden door after he painted it, huffing and puffing the whole time. I kind of over-did and felt exhausted after a day of painting and working in the garden. The thought did cross my mind that we don't want any more "coincidences" to talk about in the coming years.

No comments:

Post a Comment