Hello to new viewers!

Not sure what's going on with this site, but just imagine that I put spaces between paragraphs and inserted photos. Blogger wouldn't let me. Maybe they will later?

Friday, March 16, 2012

Cabo San Lucas.....First Day 2010

They stand facing us, three in a row, like birds waiting for us to offer them a crumb. We're reclining on our hotel's cushioned lounge chairs, facing the surf. They seem to honor an invisible barrier, about 20 yards away, but then we notice the red flags keeping them from our private beach territory.
The one with the open case of silver jewelry tries to make eye contact with me, but I close my eyes, trying to look exhausted or preoccupied. The man selling scarves and colorful wraps opens them one at a time. He flutters one about in the wind to show off the rainbow colors, before folding it carefully, and then brings out another one in an animal print should that be more to my taste.
Another vendor, with five or six hats stacked on his head, and with another twenty or so forming a column balanced in his arms, reminds me of a story I used to read to my kids, "Caps For Sale, Fifty Cents A Cap".
Since we had had an upsetting experience at the Cabo airport today,with salesmen attacking us like piranhas, I come up with the suggestion that when we do venture out on to the beach we each wear our hat, discouraging at least one salesperson from approaching us.
Upon further contemplation from beneath our lowered lids, we observe that many folks head directly for the beach clad only in bathing suits, and are rarely approached by people selling their wares. At first we think they're brave, and then realize they're probably not approached since they don't have any place to carry cash...... Maybe tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment