Hello to new viewers!

Not sure what's going on with this site, but just imagine that I put spaces between paragraphs and inserted photos. Blogger wouldn't let me. Maybe they will later?

Monday, February 6, 2012

Deviled Eggs

Today, getting ready for a Superbowl party, I made 42 deviled eggs. That means I boiled 2 dozen eggs, but 3 of them didn't peel very nicely, so I only had 21 to cut in half. While I peeled the eggs I thought of a party I gave one year.....
I had asked folks from work to come to a neighborhood party I was giving. One doctor showed up really early and asked if there was anything he could do to help. He was so early, that I hadn't gotten myself ready at all. I told him that I had hard-boiled some eggs to make deviled eggs, and if he could peel them, cut them in half, and put the yolks in a bowl for me that would be great. I went upstairs to shower and change.
When I came back down to the kitchen, I discovered that this surgeon had treated his project as a surgery. All of the yolks were in the bowl, not cut in half, but cut carefully from the whites without leaving a mark. As a surgeon would.
I praised him for his diligence, but told him, sorry, but his perfect round yolks would have to be mashed up and blended with mayonaisse, mustard, salt, pepper, onion, pickle, a little curry and garlic salt. He volunteered to mix it up and stuff the yolk concoction into the halved whites and top them with paprika. His Chinese family had never made such a thing, but he proudly presented his finished product to the crowd that had gathered.
He came up to me during the party, and happily reported that everyone was commenting on how delicious the "Eggs of the Devil" were! He was so proud.


No comments:

Post a Comment