Hello to new viewers!

Not sure what's going on with this site, but just imagine that I put spaces between paragraphs and inserted photos. Blogger wouldn't let me. Maybe they will later?

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Current Cats, Chapter 2

The mama cat never has been very friendly. In fact she's downright skittish. You'd think with all the food we give her....... Well, there's another cat that looks alot like her that is either her former beau or her brother, with the same sort of grey and white markings. He showed up soon after "Mommy" was fixed, and he lets me pet him. I started calling him Gimpy. I know it's a rather un-PC name, but he does do a big limp when he's surprised and goes to move fast. Now he's more lovingly called "Gimpers", since he greets me sometimes, rubbing along my legs as I bend down and stroke his soft fur. Mommy won't have anything to do with me, but if Gimpers is around letting himself be petted, she comes over too, purring and rubbing. It's as if to say, "This is my girl, and I let her pet me like this all the time!"
Some folks say we shouldn't feed the feral cats. They think we'll attract racoons and such. We only feed the cats when they come and ask for it. Mommy and sometimes Gimpers are sitting waiting in the driveway for us when we come home from work, and meow till we feed them, thanking us for any handouts.
One time though, I was having a lovely time working in the garden on a hot day. I went over to prune a rosebush, when I saw out of the corner of my eye, one of the cats near their bowl. I naturally started to make some little mewing noise as I turned toward it, and discovered a small skunk eating the cat food! As quietly as  I could, I tried to close the huge sliding garage door, and at the movement, the skunk ran toward the back yard. I saw that the back door of the garage was open, and prayed that the little critter wouldn't run in there! Luckily I saw it turn the other way and run toward the neighbor's under the fence. Closing up the garage, my heart was beating fast, as I realized how quickly things could change. There I was having an idyllic afternoon, watching butterflies and birds, planting things and pruning bushes, and in an instant, I was afraid that I'd be shot at close range by a skunk's spray! The thought went through my head, "how could I even go into work the next day if I smelled of skunk?" As it is I got off easy without any scent. That's when I learned the lesson of only feeding the cats a little bit in their bowl, and only when they're there to eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment